Puppy shopping list
And must have buys for your puppy!
We send each of our puppies home with a Puppy Starter Kit to help each puppy owner and their puppy have a smooth transition from our home to yours! It's also our way of saying "thank you" for giving one of our puppies a home! It will also save you a fair chunk of money as each of our Puppy Starter Kits has an approximate value of $200! So before we get to the recommended shopping list, please be advised that each of our Puppy Starter Kits will contain the following or a comparable item:
- food & water feeding station (food and water dish on a stand)
- measuring cup (so you don't have to use your personal kitchen supplies for dog food)
- collar & leash (small size for 2-6 months)
- waste pick-up bags (a roll or two, and sometimes a dispenser as well)
- wire crate (24" to 36" crate depending on your puppy's estimated adult size)
- scent blanket (scent of siblings to help your puppy sleep the first few nights)
- puppy training tips (online link will be given)
- compulsory "Taking Puppy Home" Online Instructional that will help prepare you for the care and training aspects of your puppy (exclusive online link will be given to you)
- lifetime breeder support (you can call or e-mail for advise any time!)
- dewormed by breeder at 2, 4, & 6 weeks of age (dewormed with Pyrantel Pamoate which is an equivalent of StrongidT or with Bayer Quad dewormer or Drontal)
- health examination (performed by a licensed veterinarian at 7-8 weeks)
- 1st booster vaccination & additional deworming (these are performed by a licensed veterinarian at 7-8 weeks and another deworming given at the same time as the vaccination -- these items are what will be shown on your puppy's health record)
- vaccination schedule (info link will be given)
- Purchase Agreement which includes a 2 year congenital health guarantee (against life-threatening defects)
- health record (record of vaccination and deworming performed by vet at 7-8 weeks)
- birth certificate (showing the puppy's name, the parents of the puppy, the breed of your puppy, and your puppy's date of birth)
- kibble food sample (Inception Pork Recipe ~ ALL LIFE STAGES / ONE 4 lb bag)
- canned food sample (ONE 13.2 oz can of Permforatrin Puppy.)
- probiotics & information (link will be given / enough for 7 days)
- Nutrivet Digestive Supplement Fresh Pumpkin Superblend (info link will be given / 15 oz can of pumpkin)
- freeze-dried training treat (freeze dried training treat, brand may vary.)
- stuffed animal or crinkle toy (at least one of these items)
- Nylabone chew or Kong chew toy (at least one of these items or sometimes both)
- ball (a ball or a small package of balls)
- nail clippers (your puppy's nails will be trimmed)
- brush (your puppy will be brushed)
- shampoo (shampoo formulated for a puppy's skin & fur)
- paw butter (protection for your puppy's paws from natures elements)
*Below is an EXAMPLE of what you could get in your PUPPY STARTER KIT to give you a visual of the items we list above!
*PLEASE NOTE that since we have "paperless" to reduce the amount of paper product sent home with each puppy, there will be links on our Taking Puppy Home Online Instrutional for the following: vaccination schedule, feeding guide, probiotics information, pumpkin puree information, puppy training tips. And our Taking Home Puppy Online Instructional covers EVERYTHING you will need for training and general care of your puppy for the 1st year of life.
It is our aim to soon add these or similar items to our already expansive puppy starter kits that we send home with each of our puppies!
The rest of our original puppy starter kit items are shown below:
Everyone will receive a link to our Exclusive Online "Taking Puppy Home Instructional" that covers a wide range of topics for care and training that you will encounter in the first week in your home (and beyond)! The instructional will help set you up for success in training your puppy! By having the instructional online it not only allows us to "go green" and send puppy owners home with less paper in their Puppy Starter Kits, but it allows new puppy owners to access the instructional from the comfort of their own homes prior to taking their puppy home (which permits them to prepare) and they can refer back to it whenever necessary! Puppy Pick Ups will be scheduled at 11:00 AM and/or 2:00 PM on the day the puppies turn 8 weeks of age, or the next closest weekend available for pick-up (to be determined by Pleasant Meadows).
HIGH PRIORITY ITEMS:
1. Food for your puppy! Yes, we will give you a sample of the food that your puppy is eating, but you still need to go out and purchase a bag of the food so that you do not run out of food. We will give you enough food to feed your puppy 3 times a day for 1 week -- treat this as a gift sample and don't get caught up in the puppy craze and forget to purchase your puppy's food in advance! Our puppies will be eating anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of kibbles that have been softened in warm water for 10-15 minutes. The brand that our puppies eat is INCEPTION PORK RECIPE. This is an ALL LIFE STAGES food which means that it is formulated for a growing puppy right into adulthood!
You can find out where to buy this food by taking a look at the STORE LOCATOR on the link below:
WHERE TO BUY? CLICK HERE!
If the stores listed do not specifically have the INCEPTION PORK at their location, ask them to order it in for you! Most stores will have no problem ordering it in when asked!
2. Water bowl or waterer! You need to make sure that your puppy is drinking enough water throughout the day! Having a bowl or waterer available for your puppy at all times is the best way to ensure this! Keep in mind that you may need to show your puppy where the water is for the first few days because the dish you buy will probably look different than the ones your puppy has drank from while here at Pleasant Meadows. It is, however, recommended to remove the access to water 2 hours prior to bed time to avoid "filling up the tank" again before sleep time. You'll want a heavy bowl for water to avoid spilling, or a waterer for your puppy. Here are examples of what we recommend:
Always keep your dogs drinking water dish or waterer clean!