Puppy shopping list
And must have buys for your puppy!
We send each of our puppies home with a Puppy Starter Kit to help each puppy owner and their puppy have a smooth transition from our home to yours! It's also our way of saying "thank you" for giving one of our puppies a home! It will also save you a fair chunk of money as each of our Puppy Starter Kits has an approximate value of $140 to $150! So before we get to the recommended shopping list, please be advised that each of our Puppy Starter Kits will contain the following or a comparable item:
- food dish (can also be used for a water dish)
- measuring cup (so you don't have to use your personal kitchen supplies for dog food)
- collar & leash (small size for 2-6 months)
- waste pick-up bags (a roll or two, and sometimes a dispenser as well)
- nail clippers (your puppy's nails will be trimmed)
- brush (your puppy will be brushed)
- stuffed animal or crinkle toy (at least one of those items, and sometimes a ball too)
- Nylabone chew or Kong chew toy (at least one of these items or sometimes both)
- scent blanket (scent of siblings to help your puppy sleep the first few nights)
- puppy training tips (online link will be given)
- compulsory "Taking Puppy Home" Online Instructional that will help prepare you for the care and training aspects of your puppy (exclusive online link will be given to you)
- lifetime breeder support (you can call or e-mail for advise any time!)
- dewormed by breeder at 2, 4, & 6 weeks of age (dewormed with Pyrantel Pamoate which is an equivalent of StrongidT or with Bayer Quad dewormer)
- health examination (performed by a licensed veterinarian at 7-8 weeks)
- 1st booster vaccination & additional deworming (these are performed by a licensed veterinarian at 7-8 weeks and another deworming given at the same time as the vaccination -- these items are what will be shown on your puppy's health record)
- vaccination schedule (info link will be given)
- Purchase Agreement which includes a 2 year congenital health guarantee (against life-threatening defects)
- health record (record of vaccination and deworming performed by vet at 7-8 weeks)
- birth certificate (showing the puppy's name, the parents of the puppy, the breed of your puppy, and your puppy's date of birth)
- kibble food sample (Inception Pork Recipe ~ ALL LIFE STAGES, enough food for 1 week)
- canned food sample (You will receive ONE 400g can of LEAN CUTS.)
- probiotics & information (link will be given / enough for 7 days)
- 1.05 oz packet of "Pumpkin Patch Up" & information (link will be given / made by Weruva)
- Instinct Mixers sample (freeze dried training treat or food topper. May be substituted with another freeze dried brand)
*Below is an EXAMPLE of what you could get in your PUPPY STARTER KIT to give you a visual of the items we list above!
*PLEASE NOTE that since we have "paperless" to reduce the amount of paper product sent home with each puppy, there will be links on our Taking Puppy Home Online Instrutional for the following: vaccination schedule, feeding guide, probiotics information, pumpkin puree information, puppy training tips. And our Taking Home Puppy Online Instructional covers EVERYTHING you will need for training and general care of your puppy for the 1st year of life.
It is our aim to soon add these or similar items to our already expansive puppy starter kits that we send home with each of our puppies!
The rest of our original puppy starter kit items are shown below:
Everyone will receive a link to our Exclusive Online "Taking Puppy Home Instructional" that covers a wide range of topics for care and training that you will encounter in the first week in your home (and beyond)! The instructional will help set you up for success in training your puppy! By having the instructional online it not only allows us to "go green" and send puppy owners home with less paper in their Puppy Starter Kits, but it allows new puppy owners to access the instructional from the comfort of their own homes prior to taking their puppy home (which permits them to prepare) and they can refer back to it whenever necessary! Puppy Pick Ups will be scheduled at 11:00 AM and/or 2:00 PM on the day the puppies turn 8 weeks of age, or the next closest weekend available for pick-up (to be determined by Pleasant Meadows).
HIGH PRIORITY ITEMS:
1. Food for your puppy! Yes, we will give you a sample of the food that your puppy is eating, but you still need to go out and purchase a bag of the food so that you do not run out of food. We will give you enough food to feed your puppy 3 times a day for 1 week -- treat this as a gift sample and don't get caught up in the puppy craze and forget to purchase your puppy's food in advance! Our puppies will be eating anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of kibbles that have been softened in warm water for 10-15 minutes. The brand that our puppies eat is INCEPTION PORK RECIPE. This is an ALL LIFE STAGES food which means that it is formulated for a growing puppy right into adulthood!
You can find out where to buy this food by taking a look at the STORE LOCATOR on the link below:
WHERE TO BUY? CLICK HERE!
If the stores listed do not specifically have the INCEPTION PORK at their location, ask them to order it in for you! Most stores will have no problem ordering it in when asked!
2. Water bowl or waterer! You need to make sure that your puppy is drinking enough water throughout the day! Having a bowl or waterer available for your puppy at all times is the best way to ensure this! Keep in mind that you may need to show your puppy where the water is for the first few days because the dish you buy will probably look different than the ones your puppy has drank from while here at Pleasant Meadows. It is, however, recommended to remove the access to water 2 hours prior to bed time to avoid "filling up the tank" again before sleep time. You'll want a heavy bowl for water to avoid spilling, or a waterer for your puppy. Here are examples of what we recommend:
Always keep your dogs drinking water dish or waterer clean!
3. A crate and/or puppy enclosure for your puppy! We introduce all of our puppies to sleeping and spending short periods of time in a crate. Having a safe "den space" for your puppy to call his or her own can be very beneficial. Whether it is a plastic crate or a wire crate, your puppy will feel safe and secure inside! Here is what we recommend and the dimensions you'll need for your puppy:
Life Stages 30" Double Door Heavy Duty Folding Metal Dog Crate w/ Divider Panel, Floor Protecting Feet & Leak-Proof Plastic Tray | 30L x 21W x 24H Inches
You can purchase these crates off Amazon.ca or Walmart.ca:
Other versions/brands are also available at various pet stores like Pet Smart and Global Pets.
Don't forget to check out a second hand crate on Kijiji -- often you can get a quality crate for a good deal!
On a side note, we recommend using an old towel or sheet in the crate until your puppy is completely potty trained. Beds that are designed for the crate floor can be purchased later when your puppy is past the stage of "mucking them up".
4. Puppy shampoo! We start grooming your puppy at a young age to get them used to being bathed, bushed, and blow dried, but you need to continue this exposure in your home! Having the right kind of shampoo is important so that it doesn't sting your puppy's eyes or dry out and irritate the skin. Here are a few of the types of shampoo that we use:
5. Toys and teethers! Puppies need a wide variety of toys and chews to keep their minds busy and to satisfy their need to chew during the teething stages. You'll want to have soft plush toys, harder teethers like ropes, bones, or durable canvas toys, and interactive puzzle/food dispensing toys that will provide mental stimulation for your puppy! Having a wide assortment of different shapes, colours, and sizes will keep your puppy busy and happy! Here are examples of what we recommend:
6. A good cleaner that removes urine and fecal matter enzymes is a must! It is not a matter of "if" your puppy has an accident but a matter of "when" your puppy has an accident, and when he/she does you need to be able to clean it up properly! There are many brands of enzyme cleaners out there, but we highly recommend (and use in our own home) PowAir and Nature's Miracle. Here are a few examples of what PowAir and Nature's Miracle offer:
MEDIUM PRIORITY ITEMS:
7. Puppy training pads (also called pee-pads) and a training pad holder, or a potty training tray or grass pad. We have these items listed as a medium priority item because they can be important, but they are not essential. In fact, we highly encourage families to go without a pee-pad (or any similar option) and just focus on getting your puppy outside to potty with an established routine and reward system. It may be necessary for some families who work or need to be away for longer than your puppy can hold their bathroom habits to supply a pee-pad -- when used appropriately they can be a very useful tool for your puppy if your circumstances call for it. However, they should only be used as a "back-up-option" for the times when you are not home or simply are unable to get your puppy outside. Because of the fact that it is pretty hard for anyone to catch every puppy in a litter in time to get them outside to go to the bathroom -- we do start all of our puppies on pee-pad training. But, we also expose our puppies to the outside world from the 6 week onward mark to get them used to the sights, sounds, and textures of the outside world and to help get them comfortable enough to go to the bathroom outside. If you need to use one of the training pad options here are a few examples of the types of training pads that we have tried and tested here with our litters of puppies over the years:
Here are the links to where you can buy these items:
Great Value Training Pads -- https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/great-value-regular-puppy-training-pads/
Little Stinker Training Pads -- https://www.petonly.ca/precision-little-stinker-housebreaking-pads
Dogit Training Pad Holder -- https://www.amazon.ca/Dogit-70576A1-Training-Pad-Holder/
Iris Training Pad Holder -- https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/product/iris-reg-pet-training-pad-holder
Indoor Puppy Toilet/no pee-pads -- https://www.living.ca/mesh-no-torn-training-pad-holder-indoor-dog-puppy-toilet-potty-tray
Richell Paw Trax Mesh Training Tray -- https://www.amazon.ca/Richell-Trax-Mesh-Training-Brown/
Richell Paw Trax Training Pads -- https://www.amazon.ca/Richell-94542-Absorbent-Training-50-Pack/
8. Pumpkin, pumpkin, and more pumpkin! All puppies need to adjust to their new environment when they go home with you, and some puppies will end up with loose stool from stress, and others won't! There is no way to predict which puppies will end up with stress poo and which ones will have solid stool, so that's why pumpkin is listed as a medium priority item. We do provide you with a Weruva Pumpkin Patch Up 1.05 oz packet in your Puppy Starter Kit so if your puppy does get loose stool -- we've got you covered until you can get to the store! It's VERY IMPORTANT to ONLY get PURE PUMPKIN and NOT a pie mix with added sugar! Here are the brands that we reccommend:
You can buy these pumpkin products at the following locations:
-- Authority Digestive Support can be purchased at Pet Smart.
-- E.D. Smith Pure Pumpkin can be purchased at any grocery store.